Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Oreos!

Today is the 100th birthday of the Oreo cookie.  I wanted to do  something in honor of this big day of one of my favorite cookies ever.

The other day when I set up my baking station, I found a package of Oreos that had somehow been overlooked at Christmas.  I also found some colorburst Wilton Candy Melts that would be perfect to make  mini Oreo cakes.
I melted some of the candy melts using the 30 second method in the microwave.  I do not have a fancy Oreo mold which makes them look so pretty, so I covered them the old fashioned way.



I wanted to try and make a few layered cakes. I found that many of the Oreos are off center, but I got them to line up for the most part.  The chocolate did make them slip a bit, so I waited until it started to thicken up a pushed them back in place.  I also made three single layer cookie cakes.


I had a bottle of blue Wilton decorating incing in the bottle with the 4 tips.  I guess it was in my supplies a lot longer than I thought.  When I opened it, it had a funny smell so I pitched it. I had planned on using it to decorate the double layer cookie cakes.  Oh well, I would much prefer to eat the chocolate dipped Oreos than make them look extra pretty.  I did have some pink sparkle gel that matched the colors in the chocolate, so I used that to write out the #100.


I used a toothpick to make a small hole big enough for the candles.  


Happy 100th Birthday Oreo Cookie!  I hope you have many, many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!